Weekly Set Review: 6241 Loot Island

Discussion of official LEGO Pirates Theme sets and products, including POTC!

Weekly Set Review: 6241 Loot Island

Postby architect on Sun May 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Join the weekly Forbidden Cove set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our broadside of critique and which ones sink in shame!

This week’s set is 6241 Loot Island.

Loot Island was released in 2009 for the Pirates. A Pirate attempts to find the treasure chest before the Imperial Soldier can. Both must watch out for the alligator and marooned sailor.

The set is built on a tan raised baseplate and features a rock cave, dock, catapult, palm tree, fire, row boat, and cannon. Various accessories such as flags, oars, treasure map, spyglass, treasure chest, treasure, and weapons are included

Admin's Note: I realize that this set was discussed recently in another thread but want to start official threads and articles about the new sets.
architect
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Weekly Set Review: 6241 Loot Island

Postby Elephant Captain on Mon May 11, 2009 3:51 pm

A great set! What else can I say? to emphasize this point, I'll show you the good things about it:

-It has a soldier fig, and not a captain fig
-It has a cool Pirate fig
-Tattered pants on the old guy :woo:
-A dark green crocodile (Would have been better a shark, but still cool)
-A cannon (Always awsome)
-Lots of awsome extra peices!
-Sparkly treasure!
-Fish!
-And even some useful normal parts, like some bley bricks, and 1x1 brown round bricks. There are also the dark brown tiles, plus those new fire/plumes. Those two brown fence peices are also quite useful in building ships.
-The baseplate thing: Strange, but cool

I won't bore you with details of the bad stuff, even though it weould be a short list

All in all, I give it a 9/10 now, but compared to the old sets, only a 8/10 (Still pretty good!)

Cap'n E
This bilge rat is infesting you with fleas!
A Pirate's Life
I'd make ye walk the plank, but there is be no plank. And there be no ocean as well. So ye got off lucky today!
Elephant Captain
Flea-infested Bilge Rat

Postby DARKspawn on Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 pm

This is a great set, you get a good variety of piratey goodness in this one. The figs are really cool, I especially like the castaway fig, he's awesome, and he compliments the soldier and the pirate figs well. Top this off with a croc, a boat (in dark blue no less), chest and firing cannon & we have a winner. There's also a good range of pirate related minifig accessories to boot. I also like the brick built palm, that's actually a great sized palm for MOCing vigs. The only drawback in this set, in my opinion, is the prefab sandbar, I think I would have prefered a combination of tan plates, even if it meant a smaller island, instead of an element with such a low level of reusability. The only thing this set is missing is a parot.
DARKspawn
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Postby architect on Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 am

I actually do not mind the prefab sand bar. It reminds me of the old space sand dune 32x32 baseplate. I do mind that the back of the piece is angled so you can not easily combine it with a second raised plate.

The figures and accessories are great in this mid sized set. The "Ben Gunn" treasure island castaway figure is my favorite from the new line.

Ben
architect
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Postby RichardAM on Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 am

From the prelims the raised baseplate had a lot of potential, but when I got one of my own I realised it essentially came with all the problems of it's older brother baseplates. It's a nice idea, but it's flawed.

I do agree however with all the great stuff. The new boat, Imperial, dark green crocodile- it's a great way to get into the new theme, and the set is a great catch-all for the new things from the releases. It's nice to finally get some foliage again!
RichardAM
Pirate

Postby Puddleglum on Thu May 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Like I said in the other thread, what really made this set shine for me is the long list of accessories and figs it includes – exclusive marooned pirate, a pirate and imperial, flags and weapons for both sides, the fish and fire, a telescope, treasure chest with treasure, a boat and cannon, and a crocodile! Not to mention the nice little assortment of brown parts, plant elements, and bley/light bley slopes.

Great set overall, my only criticisms really are the baseplate, including a crocodile instead of a shark, and the price. $20 is just a bit on the steep side. But! It's only $17.99 at Target right now, and it's a great candidate for picking up during a TRU BOGOHO sale. (That's how I got it)
Yo, ho, haul together, hoist the colors high!

Here be me flickr
Puddleglum
Flotsam

Return to LEGO Pirate Sets